The DM Pro Simulator
Top of Page |
The Dealmaster Pro Simulator
The Bridge World magazine (Aug 01)
"Multi-faceted ... (simulator) is a user friendly version of the techniques employed in John Lowenthal's BOREL....
In what may be a hint of a future trend, this product allows different capabilities to be combined conveniently ... ... Anyone with a creative bent and bridge-deal curiosity will have a ball with this software."
Phillip Alder (7-12-01 syndicated column)
"Computer software ... gets better and better. The latest gem is Edward C. Marzo's Dealmaster Pro. It is easier to use than the late John Lowenthal's Borel. And rather than study the output yourself, you can feed it into (the) Deep Finesse double-dummy analyzer. You also get numerous other options."
We believe the Simulator is the most powerful Deal generator available.
What is the Simulator?
In general, a Simulator is a special form of deal generator which enables the user to simulate conditions which may have happened during an auction. Simulators are used by advanced players for penetrating analyses of alternative bid possibilities. Dealmaster Pro's Simulator provides that facility, but also is used by many users as their deal generator for all problems.
Dealmaster Pro's Simulator provides two principal function not available in many Deal Generator:
1. You can enter the 13 specific cards held by one or more hands. For example, if you want to simulate possible responses to a specific holding in West, you can enter that West holding.
2. You can enter OR conditions and NOT conditions. Dealmaster Pro allows up to TWENTY such alternate definitions for each hand (N, E, S and W). For example: You want to define a One Club opener as 11-19 HCP, Balanced or Not, except 15-17 HCP balanced. Here you would use just two of the twenty possible definitions: Number one would accept a deal if it had 11-19 HCP; No. 2 would reject any deal if it had 15-17 HCP and was balanced.
This facility makes it possible to generate multiple types of deals in one session ... example, intermix deals for Weak Two's, Strong Two's and 1NT with Stayman response; or intermix game potential NT deals with slam potential suits deals.
Deal generation with the Simulator is extremely fast. On today's fast computers, it deals and checks about 50,000 to 100,000 deals a second for simpler specs. More complex specs are, of course, a little slower.
The Simulator reports the number of deals made to find the deals meeting your specs ... thus providing a convenient way to compute the frequency of any set of specs.
One of the unique features is that for many specifications, you can indicate if you want the specs to apply to this hand alone or to this hand and partner's hand combined. Example, you can say "I want 25-27 HCP in N and S combined."
1. Up to 20 alternate definitions can be entered for each hand, each of which can cause a deal to be accepted or rejected.
2. Each of the 20 definitions for each hand can control:
......Balanced/Not balanced/Either. You can indicate if 5422 and/or 6322 should be defined as "Balanced".
......HCP. For this hand ... or for this hand and partner combined. Example: 23-28 HCP in East and West combined.
......Controls (A=2;K=1). For this hand ... or for this hand and partner combined.
......HCP in any two specified suits. For this hand ... or for this hand and partner combined. Example: Maximum of 10 HCP in Spades and Hearts combined.
......Distribution points by suit. Define distribution points any way you want. Each of N, E, S and W can have distribution points defined differently.
......Suit lengths and honor combinations within any specified suit ... or within any of the suits not otherwise specified. For this hand or for this hand and partner combined. Example: For North and South combined: In either major, 8 or 9+ cards including two of the top three or three of the top five honors.
......Suit length rankings. Example: Spades must be longer than any other suit; Hearts must be equal or longer than C and D. Any possible combination may be specified.
......A powerful, unique scheme for controlling hand shapes.
......The specific holding (ie the 13 cards) of one or more hands can be entered.
......Any one of the 20 definitions in one hand may be made dependent on one or more of the definitions in other hands.
3. All features are controlled with mouse clicks or simple key entry.
Dealmaster Pro's Simulator was developed under the guidance of Bridge Champion and Author Larry Cohen who uses Dealmaster Pro for many of the Simulations he does for his Master Solvers Club articles in The Bridge World magazine.
Top of Page |
Questions and Answers
How many deals will Dealmaster Pro generate?
After you enter your specifications, you tell it how many deals you want.
If I enter complex specifications, is there any way I can check to be sure I am getting what I want?
As soon as deals are generated, you can review them with the Preview Screen. You can easily see your specifications at the same time. If there are several deals which don't quite meet your needs, you can easily reject them. If you want to revise your specs, you can quickly return to change them.
Top of Page |
What printouts can I get of deals created by the Deal Generator or Simulator?
There are numerous options:
- Hand Record format with options to specify which hands are to print
- One deal per page - Large print
- Two deals per page - Large print
- Three deals per page - Large Print
- Four deals per page - Large Print (Great for making up boards)
- Printout for Bidding Practice - 36 deals per page
- Printout for Bidding Practice - 64 deals per page
- "Goldway" format format for bidding practice
Anything else? You can control whether Dealer and vulnerability will print, if the date should print, if heart and diamond symbols should print in red or black.
And you can enter text which will appear at the top of certain printouts.
Click here to see screen for entering these options.
DEALMASTER PRO tm
Ward & Sons, Inc.
P.O. Box 331, Agawam, MA 01001